Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 8: Railings

Finally the weather cooperated and I was able to do some more work. You'll have to pardon the fuzzy pictures. Now that I'm back at work, I'm working with the mosquitoes in much less light.

I put up the last 2 posts for the upper railings at the base of the stairs. I had to take the last board off and re-cut it to fit now that there were 2 more obstructions for it to wrap around. I've also changed my mind about how to lay out the stairs. Now I'm putting a board along the back of the stair, and overhanging the nose board farther. This allows me to fit 2 full boards on each step. They will all look like the third step up eventually (though I will trim the ends to be less precarious).















I also got the railings started. A 2*4 at the bottom and top, and a 5/4*6 on top to make a nice wide railing. I'll have 1*1 slats running vertically eventually. I'm also going to put solar light post caps on the 2 at the top of the stairs. The others get little cedar hats like the one next to the house in this picture.
















Lastly, I got some serious cramps in my calf while bent down screwing in all the little skirting boards. And that leaves me here.

No comments: